\

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Try it Tuesday.....Owl's Nest 3 Cheese Italian cheese spread

Ok, so I couldn't find an image for the 3 Cheese Italian cheese spread, but the Vermont White Cheddar container looks the same with a diff name. I really would like to try the white cheddar too. Actually, I'd like to try the whole crazy line of this cheese spread!

The inspiration for trying it was the New York Style Focaccia Sticks that I had tried a couple of weeks ago. Find that review HERE.

I was looking for a cheese spread to eat along with the Focaccia Sticks . I was bringing them to a *FUN* get together at my friend Caity's house. (It was a nice, relaxing night by the way...lots of laughter. I needed it. Thanks Caity!)

I stumbled upon Owl's Nest 3 Cheese Italian spread at my local Meijer in the deli section. $3.49 for a 10 oz. tub. I really love cheese, so a spread with 3 cheeses really appealed to me. It contains Romano, Parmesan and Asiago cheeses.

The Focaccia Sticks are a *4* cheese bread stick, so we were cheesing it up that night!

Taste? Well, I really enjoyed it. It was creamy and smooth. The container says it can be a dip, but I thought it was more of a spread. A little thicker than a dip. It can be spread on a cracker, pretzel or whatever you choose.

Eaten alone and this cheese spread is quite strong. As a matter of fact, little Ava just dipped her pretzel in it and made a funny, yet cute squinty face! Don't get me wrong, it isn't that strong. There is no strong smell etc. But I would suggest eating it on a cracker or something else and not eaten alone out of the tub.

If you are looking for low fat, go somewhere else. This crazy good cheese is also crazy fattening. 2 tablespoons has 100 calories and 8 grams of fat. Combine that with the Focaccia Sticks and you have a fattening little appetizer. On the bright side, the Owl's Nest cheese spread can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 60 days after it's opened. You can also freeze it, but it will be crumbly after thawing.

Owl's Nest spreads come in these yummer sounding flavors:

3 Cheese Italian
Horseradish
Mozzarella Garlic
Port Wine
Cheddary
Vermont White Cheddar

Don't they all sound delish? Get out there are try them!

Oh, and I hate to do negative reviews, but 2 people that tried this cheese, really weren't into it. One was my hubby and he isn't a fan of strong cheese. He also thought it was a bit dry but I have NO idea where he gets that. It's creamy goodness to me. A little goes a long way.

My 13 year old daughter Macie, loves the stuff, but she loves most anything (this coming from a girl who had therapy as a toddler because she wouldn't let food touch her mouth!). She dips Deli Style Pretzel Crisps. We bought the garlic flavor. Yummo! They were excellent with the Owl's Nest cheese spread. The pretzel crisps also have the Good Housekeeping seal of approval.

Oh, Owl's Nest has a store locator on their website if you want to find it in your location.

Oh, and on the personal side, look for a 'catch-up' post to come soon. I haven't posted much lately, so I have some random photos to share. I'm failing as a journal blogger lately. I guess life gets in the way too much. And Facebook! I Facebook waaaay too much. Why? I dunno. You tell me ;)

1 Whaddaya have to say about this post?:

Nikki said...

I don't think I've ever seen this at the store. I have a major cheese lover in the house- Jillie. Maybe she'd like it.

Facebook is way too easy to use- a simple fast version of blogging I suppose. Need to get back to the real thing though too. :)