\

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Try it Tuesday.....Alexia Crunchy Snacks


Have you tried these yet?! I didn't even know they existed! I spied them and had to grab them because truthfully, I've never met an Alexia product that I didn't like.

I am a huge fan of the Julienne Fries with Sea Salt and also the artisan breads. Mmm. Those are in the frozen line. I had no idea they had any products in the other aisles! Oh happy day!

I was in the chip aisle of all places when I saw the Onion Strips Crunchy Snacks & the Waffle Fries Crunchy Snacks. While in the chip aisle, I wouldn't expect to find this product. I'll tell you why......

The Savory Seasoned Onion Strips are TRUE, REAL onions! Just like you eat out of the oven only crunchy! Seriously, Alexia has me amazed and pleasantly surprised! I bit into one of these and it's like eating an onion ring from a restaurant! You know, the kind of place that serves a basket of them with that horseradish dip! Can I hear a YUM?! A coating with a real onion inside!

Yes, they are crunchy and probably deep fried. Yes, they are cold and not warm like the ones from a restaurant, but they rock! If I had some of that horseradish dip, I'd be in heaven.

Alexia says both the Onion Strips & the Waffle Fries are 100% natural and zero trans fat. There are no artificial preservatives, color or flavors.

Here are the nutritionals for the Onion Strips:
Serving Size: 28g 1 ounce (about 18 pieces)

Servings Per Container: 4.5
Calories [per serving]: 150

Calories from Fat: 70


Daily %
Total Fat 8g 12%
Saturated Fat 0.5g 3%
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat
Monounsaturated Fat
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 200mg 8%
Potassium 80mg 2%
Daily %
Total Carbohydrate 18g 6%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Sugars 2g
Protein 2g
Daily %
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0%
Iron 2%


Ingredients

Wheat Flour, High Oleic Canola Oil, Corn Flour, Modified Food Starch, Spanish Onions, Cornstarch, Salt, Less Than 2% Of: Dextrose, Egg White Solids, Malted Barley Flour, Spice, Sugar.

Contains: EGG and WHEAT

Now for the Waffle Fries....again real potatoes! I chose to buy the Classic Ranch flavor and that might have been a mistake. Don't get me wrong. They are still good. But there is something about them that doesn't thrill me. I think it's because it has a little bit of spice or something. I feel the heat a bit. I don't like heat very much, so this isn't my favorite. I wish I had just tried the Aged Cheddar
Waffle Fries. The fries are cool looking with the cross cut look. They are thick and dense. A real potato and not air filled at all. I guess you will have to be the judge on these though. I'm sticking with the Onion Straws.

Here are the Waffle Fries nutritionals:
Serving Size: 28g

Servings Per Container: 5
Calories [per serving]: 140

Calories from Fat: 60


Daily %
Total Fat 7g 11%
Saturated Fat 0.5g 3%
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat
Monounsaturated Fat
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 200mg 8%
Potassium 190mg 5%
Daily %
Total Carbohydrate 18g 6%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Sugars 0g
Protein 1g
Daily %
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 2%
Calcium 0%
Iron 2%


Ingredients

Russet Potatoes, High Oleic Canola Oil, Modified Food Starch, Less Than 2% Of: Buttermilk Solids, Citric Acid, Cornstarch, Dehydrated Parsley, Dextrin, Distilled Vinegar Powder, Enzyme Modified Butterfat, Garlic Powder, Natural Flavor, Onion Powder, Potassium Chloride, Rice Flour, Salt, Spices, Sugar, Xanthan Gum, Whole Milk Powder, Disodium Dihydrogen Pyrophosphate (To Promote Color Retention).

Contains: MILK

Oh, I forgot to mention that they both come in different flavors other than those I mentioned.

Onion Straws come in:
Jalapeno
Savory Seasoned

The Waffle Fries come in these flavors:Aged Cheddar Cheese
Bold & Spicy BBQ
Hot Pepper
Classic Ranch

A yummy all natural snack that tastes just like they came from your favorite restaurant. Yes, they are a bit high calorie, high fat, but eaten in moderation, they are a yummy treat.

I'm interested in hearing what others think of the Alexia brand. Have you tried the brand? Did you like it? What appeals to you about the brand?

Tell me and I might just reward you.
Ok. No, not really. Hee hee. But that does give me an idea. I've never done a give-away. Maybe I'll think about doing one. What would I give away?? I guess it would have to be a Try It Tuesday product wouldn't it? *wink*

1 Whaddaya have to say about this post?:

Nikki said...

I very much like the Alexia potatoes/fries. Yummy & healthy options the WHOLE family likes!

I'm guessing I'd like those waffle fries. I'd probably prefer sea salt flavor over ranch or cheese or BBQ. Wish they made that. I don't like onion rings, so I'll pass on the onions- but may have to try the ranch fries just because! :)
Thanks again!