\

Monday, October 20, 2008

Vote YES on prop 8


The Church released this updated statement on 16 October 2008:

As the Proposition 8 campaign in support of traditional marriage enters its last two weeks, the Protect Marriage Coalition is encouraging its members to make phone calls in support of the measure. The Church is participating with the Coalition in support of this endeavor.

This is a segment from a broadcast to Californian Church members addressing the Church’s doctrine of marriage and the Protect Marriage Coalition.


My sister in CA has had 3 Yes to prop #8 signs stolen from her yard. There are concerns that if same sex marriage is allowed, then it could possibly affect churches and temples who only perform heterosexual marriages. If bound by same sex marriage law, would the LDS church (and other religions) be forced to recognize same sex marriages? If the law passes in CA, it could pass in other places and directly affect the sacred ordinance of a temple marriage. I believe that Arizona could be the next state to address this issue through voting (but I'm not sure, so don't quote me on that).

I don't live in CA, so I cannot vote YES on this issue (I certainly would if I could), but I can do my part by helping others be aware of the issue. Check out this blog, prop8voterinfo. They have a wealth of information along with links to help a voter decide what to choose when voting.

For more information on what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints believes, visit http://www.lds.org/. If you would like to read what the church specifically says about the same sex marriage issue, visit the LDS.org Newsroom here

Leanne Sig.

3 Whaddaya have to say about this post?:

Nikki said...

I would if I could too.
I'm a little worried to see how this turns out.

Gretta said...

I have a lot of family living in CA and they too are worried about this law passing. I am worried because it seems to me that California is the leader of all the other states in our country what they do the other states tend follow. But unfortunentaly I think this law will eventually pass if it doesn't in Nov. based on how this world is getting more and more evil. Evil being disguised as looking good and harmless. I guess in preparation for the second coming.

Anonymous said...

From a concerned California voter, thanks for posting this Leanne. Any info we can get out to help people understand the possible consequences of this proposition not passing can help! Prayers Please-we need Prop 8 to pass!